Work Space and Environment
Tips on Setting Up a Work Space
For individuals starting online courses it is important to set yourself up for success. One area that is very important is a distraction free study work space. Your work space environment should be comfortable, appealing, and a place you can be productive.
There are 4 key elements presented on this page and other resources to help you get organized and prepare a distraction free work space and study environment.
- Equip your work space with a computer, printer, power cords, etc.
- Check your course syllabus for each course and look for any extra hardware you might need.
- Have a wired broadband internet connection.
- Have textbooks, pens, pencils, notebooks available.
- Plan for organization – have folders, stacking trays, etc.
- Place your phone on silent. Consider also placing your phone in another location.
- Restrict your web surfing (stayfocused, a free Google ext. to assist with web browsing)
- Be careful with any music you play – your mind might wander and focus on the lyrics
- Wear noise-cancelling headphones if you are listening to music
- Be careful to use your time wisely.
- Eliminate interruptions/distractions.
- Learn to say no. Make studying a priority.
- Focus your energy on studying.
- Set aside a space as your student space and make it your online classroom.
- Have a desk or table dedicated to your online studies
- Have adequate lighting to reduce eye strain